Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wedding reception music sucks.

I've concluded that people need to start picking some new dance songs to play at wedding receptions. Seriously. The Macarena? Really? It's been like a decade, people. If I were planning my wedding reception music right now, here's some overplayed songs I would avoid...

Love Shack
Play That Funky Music
The Cha-Cha Slide
Brick House
YMCA
Celebration
We Are Family

Just to name a few. I know what you're thinking. "But I love it when all the guys go 'You're what?' and all the girls yell 'Tiiiiiiiiiiiiin roof...rusted!'" And yes, that part is a lot of fun...THE FIRST TIME. But when I recently did that for like the 26th time this year, a new thought entered my mind: Wow, I freaking hate this song. Maybe I'm just overly cynical because I'm at that age when all your friends are getting married and you attend like 30 weddings every summer, and after a while they all start blending together in your memory. Seriously, try to imagine what Strong Bad would think/say if he were in the same position. "No way do I have to dance to this stupid song all the freakin' time." I say we employ some musical variety here! Start playing some hard-core gangsta-rap or some go-go or some bluegrass or something.

So honestly, am I right? Am I being too cynical? Should I just shut the heck up? Your thoughts!